The lady with the dog, By Anton Chekhov (1899)

 The lady with the dog, By Anton Chekhov (1899)

8.5/10

For the first two parts of the story, I supposed this story was either an immoral, outrageous propaganda written to beautify cheating on partners, or a sort of cliché tragedy in which impossible love leads to emotional suicides and murders and such. Therefore, I was surprised when the author ended the story with the two lovers agonizing about their future.

However. once I read the story again and thought about it a few days after my first run, I felt that the behaviors of Gurov and Anna is something that should not be judged by our modern mindset. Instead, I began to understand the reason of their actions. A man internally disgusted by his monotonous life who never thought he would find real love met a woman he could finally love. What they thought to be a short immoral entertainment became the most important thing of their life, saving them from the distress of life.

Although I won’t change my thoughts that what Gurov and Anna are doing is wrong, I think Chekhov did an amazing job in showing the strange avidities and restrictions of life.

Thus, I rate this story eight point five out of ten. (197 words)

댓글

  1. Good. I'm glad you noted the "ending" or lack of ending as important to the story. Chekhov isn't interested in drama. He is interested in the questions as he always is: what will humans accept as right or wrong, or bad or good? It is a messy question to answer.

    답글삭제

댓글 쓰기

이 블로그의 인기 게시물

"Araby" and stage 4 of the hero's journey

The Second Bakery Attack, By Haruki Murakami (1981)

A Mother, By James Joyce (1914)