A Sound of Thunder, By Ray Bradbury (1952)

 A Sound of Thunder, By Ray Bradbury (1952)

Rating: 7/10

 

What I found most interesting about this story was that the story’s hero Eckels is someone I found very hard to call a ‘hero’, both in the literary way and the realistic way. Realistically, Eckels is more of a weak-kneed coward who ended up changing the history of the world in a bad way. Still, I found him rather sympathetic. This is because Eckels was never in control of the situation, which is why I found him different with the heroes of other stories.

I felt that unlike most heroes, Eckels is not important at all. To me, he felt like a mere implement to progress the story. Instead of focusing on him, the author spent most of the story on explaining the whole ‘time travel’ concept. Although I’m a bit disappointed about how uncharacteristic Eckels is, I’m not that angry with the author’s choice. By ignoring the main character, Bradbury was able to push his unique ideas to the limit and create his own special time travel story.

Overall, I would say that this story is an interesting classic. (180 words)

댓글

이 블로그의 인기 게시물

"Araby" and stage 4 of the hero's journey

The Second Bakery Attack, By Haruki Murakami (1981)

A Mother, By James Joyce (1914)